Finally have something to blog about. Nothing really exciting or interesting-just my day today.
Scene: High School Orchestra class with 34 kids. 10:45a.m.
"Ok now, take out Hungarian Dance. Let's try to remember all the dynamics." They play. No dynamics. "Now, come on, I know you can do it. You need to play soft at the slow section. Play. No dynamics. "Ok. It's a competition. I'm going to be staring at the section that is playing loud. I want to see who can play the softest." Play. Freak Out. "Wait! What was that? Where did those come from? Who knew you can play so soft!?" I am almost jumping up and down, my hands flailing in the air. Kids are staring at me with amusement.
Who knew that all it would take was a "competition" for them to get to play softly. It was like night and day the sound they were making. I totally wish I was observed today, just so someone could have experienced the difference in the piece at the beginning, and then at the end.
They are playing this song in a school assembly next Tuesday. Hopefully they will remember today's class and how great it sounded!
Scene: 6th grade orchestra class. 18 kids. 2:05p.m.
"OK everyone, please take out Soda Creek." Play. Midway through the song some leaves are blowing around outside. They slightly look like snow. Kids freakout acting crazy. Kid:"wait, those are just leaves". Calm down. Play. Midway through, Amelia yells "SNOW!" Chaos ensues. The entire class runs to the window, noses pressed on the glass, as people are whooping and cheering. Two seconds later the snow stops. There were literally 3 snowflakes that fell.
No comments:
Post a Comment